BACK BAY & BEACON HILL BOUTIQUE COMPLEXES
Over the past 20 years there has been a growing number of luxury, renovated smaller residential condo buildings joining the upscale arena in Back Bay and Beacon Hill.These have many of the glamorous touches of their mass produced high-rise neighbors in elegant turn of the century buildings on some of Boston's most desirable streets. These "luxe" complexes, generally under 20 units, offer buyers more intimate residences with old world style, expansive floor plans and personalized décor -you might call them the sexier version of luxury living in Boston.
These boutique buildings, with a higher level of customization and have created a new standard for luxury property and are preserving the historic architecture of Boston. The trend is likely to continue due to the scarcity of land, limited air-rights, restrictive zoning, historic preservation and the escalating demand for larger, spacious luxury floor plans more similar in size to single family homes. Examples include the following complexes and for additional complexes or more information contact Jan Boyce: firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-283-1675.
Zero Marlborough is a ten story building on the corner of Arlington and Marlborough Streets overlooking the Boston Public Garden built in 1929 for the Junior League Club . It was purchased in 1953 by the Katherine Gibbs School and in 1988 to Emerson College. In 2008 the building was transformed into 12 residences and 7 of these are full floors. There is direct elevator access, concierge and an exercise room.
9 Arlington across from the Public Garden was built in 1869 in the pavilion French Academic design by Deming Jarves the founder and agent for the Boston & Sandwich Glass Company and later owned by the Atlantic Monthly Company. Even after Mortimer Zuckerman sold the magazine they continued to have offices there until its conversion in 2000 to 6 luxury residences with garage parking including a 3800 s.f. triplex with a private elevator on the Marlborough St. side of the complex.
15 Marlborough was designed by Charles Kirby in 1863 and originally owned by Colonel Jonas French and his wife Fanny who founded the Cape Ann Granite Company and had a summer home in Gloucester. In 2004 13-15 Marlboroough was converted into 6 luxury residences with garage parking.
25 Beacon designed in 1926 by Putnam and Cox and converted in 2016 to 6 Luxury Residences including garage parking, a concierge, bike storage and fitness room. The complex has three sided exposure and views of the Boston Common.
51 Commonwealth Avenue 49-51 Commonwealth was designed by Cummings and Sears and built in 1878, the last building built in the Academic style in brownstone in Back Back Bay. In 2007 the building was totally renovated into 8 residences currently used as 4 with high ceilings and period detail including 49 Commonwealth with a private entrance. There is a concierge and underground garage parking as well as exterior gated parking.
96 Beacon converted in 2007-9 to 4 residences with high ceilings, three sided exposure including a penthouse of over 6,000 s.f. This is the last building on Beacon Hill before the Esplanade Bridge.
100 Beacon Street was built in 1924 replacing a building that housed the Noble and Greenough School. It was converted in 2006 after its purchase from Emerson College and converted to 16 residences. Many of the residences have spectacular views of the Charles River and include garage parking on the lower level.
128 Beacon Street is the combination of three grand bowfront homes circa 1860 designed by George Snell and utilized by Emerson College from the 1960's until its conversion in 2005 by the Beale Company into 11 residences with a concierge and garage parking. 128 Beacon was originally owned by a wool merchant and wholesale grocer Francis Cogswell Manning. In 1988 it was acquired by Daniel Lake Demmon. He was an investor in copper mining, coal, railroads, and real estate and also had a home in Weston, MA which his daughter sold to the Sisters of St. Joseph in 1927 and is now Regis College.
Amory on the Park at 50 Beacon St. on the corner of Spruce St.was totally renovated into five residences in 2005 with sweeping views of the Boston Common preserving the grand detail including high ceilings and adding a common roof deck and private storage. All but unit 2 are over 3,000 s.f. Parking is at the Boston Common Garage.
The Bradley Mansion is the conversion of three Grand 19th century townhomes (407-411 Commonwealth Ave.) designed by Peabody & Stearns in 1898 and converted into 11 luxurious residences in 2012 by Holland construction with underground garage parking, concierge and a grand marble lobby. In the early 1900's 408 Commonwealth was owned by William Paine the co-founder of the investment banking firm of Paine, Webber & Co. His heirs sold to the Garland School of Homemaking who later acquired the other buildings from 1930-1950 and in 1976 sold them to Simmons College due to financial difficulties.
The Burrage House at 314 Commonwealth Ave. on the corner of Hereford St. was built in 1899 as a single family home and is now 4 luxury residences. Burrage reportedly modeled the home's architecture on that of Chenonceau, medieval chateau in the Loire Valley of France. The detailing of this historic home is a blend of many heritages that perfectly epitomizes Gilded Age of architecture. From its turreted roof, stone facade with gargoyles and extraordinary glass greenhouse on the exterior to incredible moldings and carved mahogany paneling on the interior it is considered one of the most historically significant buildings in Back Bay due to its superb workmanship.
Le Jardin: The Garden Building, was the conversion of a retail office building designed by Peabody & Stearns into 8 residences in 2001 featuring high-end custom finishes including custom milled cornice moldings, chair rails, solid wood doors, recessed lighting, gas fireplaces, his and her marble baths, and 9' ceilings. Most of the units are full floor with over 4,000 s.f. The valet parking garage is underground by freight elevator. There is 24 hr. concierge/valet/doorman service.
108 Mt. Vernon Street combined two buildings creating three sided exposures and was completed in 2008. There are seven residence with 4 full floor and a concierge. A desirable location on Beacon Hill at corner of West Cedar just one block from the boutique shops on Charles St. There is not parking on the site but, typical for many residents in this area, they utilize the Boston Common Garage which offers monthly rates.
The Meads at 413 Commonwealth Ave.was masterfully renovated in 2007 into 13 residences with underground garage and originally designed in 1891 by the prestigious architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White known for their highest standard of excellence.Noted exterior features of the Meads include wrought iron balconies, rounded lunettes, raised wreath motifs and a grand portico entry with a triple set of Ionic columns.Other projects by this firm included New York's Pennsylvania Station, Rosecliff Mansion in Newport and Boston Public Library.
The Tudor: located at 34 1/2 Beacon Street on the corner of Joy Street near the State House with magnificent views of the Boston Common. Formerly a 9 story hotel designed by S.J.F. Thayer and built in 1885-1887 and led to height restriction law in the area. In 1999 it was totally renovated to 17 residences with a concierge and direct elevator access. Parking is valet with reserved spaces at the Boston Common Garage.
The Whitwell at 32 Derne St. on Beacon Hill was a newly constructed building completed in 2016 with 14 units on 5 floors offering concierge services and garage parking - a rare amenity on Beacon Hill!